Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MT. Hamilton -This race is Tough - Version 2

By Jon Ardell
I raced w/ the Steve dude in the 3's and hung w/the lead group of about 13 until 500 yards from the Summit when the acceleration blew me out. I'd been doing all the mental calisthenics necessary for the preceding 2 miles at least, willing my body not to lose the group as one by one people dropped like flies. Ultimately that may have been a mistake but I wasn't fighting for top 20- i wanted podium!

The sick thing is I caught back up on the descent, passing an ugly fresh crash on my way down, and also had to fight to get past a lagging moto that was fucking my shit up.

Got in a chase group that closed the gap on the leaders, but I got thrown out because my legs were totally shot and threatening to sieze and I was still like 40 miles from home. It was over for me at that point, I was both emotionally and physically devastated.

About an hour after getting dropped by the chase group your boy and a few others went by me. I finished in a rag tag group of 5 and made a point of letting them all go by me at the finish. I simply didn't see the point of sprinting for 25th instead of 30th since either result was lame. I realize now this wasn't a very good attitude, but what the fuck I had to make SOME kind of statement.

This is the Downieville of road racing. It should be my race. I'm so close. I will try again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home